Date Posted: April 17, 2023
Job Type: 20 Full Time On Call Casual
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Why work with us:
The Family Centre is looking for family support workers who enjoy and are good at building working relationships with families and other parties and who have excellent problem-solving, organizational, and collaboration skills. We are focused on Trauma-Informed Care for both our communities and staff teams, and provide services based on research and evidence-based practices. We encourage employees to bring their authentic self to work in our diverse and inclusive environment. The organization is committed to Indigenous ceremony and practice and welcomes knowledge of ceremony and lived experience. Our culture is focused on providing a safe and supportive workplace including paid training, excellent benefits, a wellness program, and much more.
What you will be doing:
As a Family Connector (FC), you will provide in-home and community-based support on an on-call basis by responding to urgent requests during evenings and weekends. Your caseload will comprise of primarily Indigenous families and individual who have experienced trauma and multigenerational abuse and neglect with Children’s Service’s involvement. Support family time between children in care and their parents and/or significant others in their life. Amplify caregiver's strengths while modelling and teaching parenting skills, child development, play, structure and routine, and positive discipline.
- Respond to urgent after-hours calls from existing families, as well as urgent after-hours calls from the Children’s Services NACIS unit.
- Support family time, facilitate access drives and responding to urgent family needs.
- Support children and parents to connect with their culture and including supporting Indigenous families to participate in ceremony
- Assess ongoing risk and safety for children and families receiving services as per the Child Youth and Family Enhancement Act (CYFEA).
- Completion of formal documentation and ensuring file standards are met; inclusion of the voice of the family in documentation.
- Required to sign up for a one week rotation at a time, with no limit to the number of weeks.
- The weekly on-call rotation:
- Wednesday to Wednesday
- Weekdays: 5:30 PM to 7:30AM
- Weekends: Friday 5:30 PM to Monday 7:30 AM
- Minimum of 10 hours per week
- There may also be opportunities for additional weekday hours
This may be a fit for you if:
- You want to earn extra money working evenings and weekends
- You can only work certain weeks
- You are a student and need a flexible schedule
What you will bring to the role:
- Degree in Child & Youth Care, Social Work (or)
- Degree in Human Services (Psychology, Sociology, Education, Human Ecology or Early Childhood Development) (or)
- Diploma in Child & Youth Care or Social Work (or)
- Certificate in Human Services Sector with extensive experience with Indigenous culture and communities.
Background Check Process & Requirement:
- As a part of the selection process, The Family Centre will conduct reference checks with your most recent employers.
- Police Information Check- Vulnerable Sector (completed within the last 6 months)
- Child Intervention Records Check (completed within the last 6 months)
- Our Children Are Sacred Youth Suicide Prevention Training or ASIST Suicide Intervention Training within 3 months of start date
- Standard First Aid Level C CPR within 3 months of start date
- Registration with a professional body, if eligible (such as RSW)
- $2 million Vehicle Liability Insurance
- Reliable Vehicle, available for regular use and valid driver’s license
- 5-years Driver Abstract
What you can expect:
Training – comprehensive onboarding/orientation process which includes service specific training, and agency wide core training.
Feedback – a strong supervision model that provides regular formal and informal opportunities for feedback
Performance coaching – formal and informal coaching regarding the development of personal and professional growth and development.
Reasonable accommodation - The Family Centre will provide reasonable accommodation when requested by a qualified applicant or employee.
Compensation -The Family Centre is committed to employee wellbeing and development. The comprehensive compensation package offered to employees reflects those values and is competitive within the marketplace.
- $42 per hour
- 4% vacation pay
- Mileage compensation
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Family Centre thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.