Competition Number: 955
Job Type: Contractor - Paid Per Service
Date Posted: February 8, 2022
The Family Centre has a strong reputation for providing quality services basing our work on research and evidence based practices. We pride ourselves on providing leading edge training and strong, reflective supervision. Our intention is to create a healthy organization that is intelligent in its response to community issues and intentional about our respectful treatment of each other. We have a strong focus on Trauma Informed Care for the communities we support, as well as our staff teams. The Family Centre strives to hire a diverse team of employees, reflecting the diverse communities we support.
The Family Centre exists to support families and children to help them flourish and to help people engage with one another in order to promote healthy, safe, and economically viable communities.
Healthy families in healthy communities.
The Family Centre is currently hiring individuals who can provide both interpretation and translation services to limited or non-English speaking individuals, on behalf of the organizations that request the service.
An interpreter is a bilingual/bicultural person who is trained to assist in the communication process between non-English speaking persons and English speaking service providers or organization representatives. The interpreter facilitates the cross-lingual/cultural process helping all participants involved to understand the beliefs and practices of each other relevant to the cultural and linguistic meaning of the interaction. The context is in the provision of public services, such as healthcare, community services, legal settings, social services, and educational institutions.
- Experience interpreting in professional and diverse environment.
- High level of written and verbal fluency in other language(s) and English.
- Completion of any recognized Interpretation/Translation certification (i.e. ATIA, CILISAT etc.) is an asset.
- Facilitate effective communication between two parties that do not speak a similar language by converting one spoken or written language to another.
- Experience in interpreting and translating in various settings including, but not limited to, medical, legal, and non-profit industries is an asset.
- Experience in using Microsoft, Adobe, and/or other programs (CAT Software, etc.).
- Live in the greater Edmonton area.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or have a valid working permit in Canada.
- Police Information Check completed within the last 6 months.
- Demonstrate commitment to cultural sensitivity and have the ability to clearly explain cultural concepts to avoid miscommunication.
- Ability to remain neutral and objective during calls, excluding personal comments and feelings from the conversation.
- Demonstrates professionalism and adheres to company ethical guidelines and best practices.
- Commitment to continuous professional development and open to receiving and giving feedback when appropriate.
- Interpersonal skills to help establish good working relationships with clients.
- In-Person Interpretation is provided at a site designated by the client organization (normally the office of the client organization or the residence of the non-English speaker) at a prearranged time.
- In Message Relay, the interpreter contacts a non-English speaker on behalf of the client organization to relay a message and confirms to the client organization that the message has been relayed.
- Telephone and Video Interpretation is provided between the client’s location and the interpreter’s location. Telephone interpretation would usually involve a three-way conversation between the interpreter, the client organization representative and the non-English speaker.
- Translation is translating written documents from one language to another.
- Transcription is the process of converting an audio or video file into text.
- Administrative Responsibilities: submission of completed case work (invoice) on a weekly basis.
- Encourages customers to complete evaluations after service has been provided.
- Promptly reports any issues or incidents to TFC that occur during service provision.
Please send your resume to:
Chelsey Yee, Social Enterprise Centre Supervisor
We require contractors to provide interpretation and translation services for many languages and dialects. Some of which include: Albanian, Baric, Bilen, Burmese, Cambodian, Cebuano, Cree, Creole, Dene, Dinka, Dutch, German, Greek, Hungarian, Korean, Italian, Karen, Kurdish, Malayalam, Nepali, Polish, Portuguese, Sinhalese, Somali, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Urdu, Vietnamese, and Yoruba.
Resumes will also be accepted for other languages and dialects. Resumes are kept on file for future Interpretation Opportunities.
NOTE: Please include the position competition reference number when applying.
To apply for this job send your resume to the email address listed in the job posting. Please include the reference number in the subject line. If you are applying for multiple positions within The Family Centre, you will need to send your resume to the email address in each job posting.
The Family Centre thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Family Centre is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment. We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.