Competition number: 955
Job type: Contractor
Date posted: September 23, 2020
The Family Centre has a strong reputation for providing quality services basing our work on research and evidence-based practices. We pride ourselves on providing leading-edge training and strong, reflective supervision. We intend to create a healthy organization that is intelligent in its response to community issues and intentional about our respectful treatment of each other. We have a strong focus on Trauma-Informed Care for the communities we support, as well as our staff teams. The Family Centre strives to hire a diverse team of employees, reflecting the diverse communities we support.
Mission: The Family Centre exists to support families and children to help them flourish and to help people engage with one another to promote healthy, safe, and economically viable communities.
Vision: Healthy families in healthy communities.
The Family Centre’s Centralized Interpreter Service provides both interpretation and translation services to limited or non-English speaking individuals, on behalf of the organizations that request the service.
An interpreter is a bilingual/bicultural person who is trained to assist in the communication process between non-English speaking persons and English speaking service providers or organization representatives. The interpreter facilitates the cross-lingual/cultural process helping all participants involved to understand the beliefs and practices of each other relevant to the cultural and linguistic meaning of the interaction. The context is in the provision of public services, such as healthcare, community services, legal settings, social services, and educational institutions
- High level of verbal and written proficiency in English and other language(s) is required
- Must live in the greater Edmonton area
- Completion of a recognized Interpreter Training program, or a combination of relevant course work/training is an asset
- Past experience interpreting in professional environments
- Training in medical, legal or other business settings an asset
- Awareness and sensitivity to the cultural background of the non-English speaker
- Awareness and sensitivity to the expectations of the client organization
- Adherence to the Ethical Principles and Standards of Practice as outlined by The Family Centre (see attached)
- Ability to identify and bridge cultural barriers to communication
- Ability to work in a team environment and receive direction from a variety of professionals
- Excellent organizational skills
- Computer literacy
- In-Person Interpretation is provided at a site designated by the client organization (normally the office of the client organization or the residence of the non-English speaker) at a prearranged time.
- In Message Relay, the interpreter contacts a non-English speaker on behalf of the client organization to relay a message and confirms to the client organization that the message has been relayed.
- Telephone Interpretation is provided between the client’s location and the interpreter’s location. Telephone interpretation would usually involve a three-way conversation between the interpreter, the client organization representative and the non-English speaker.
- Translation is translating written documents from one language to another.
- Administrative Responsibilities: submission of completed case work (invoice) on a weekly basis.
- Encourages customers to complete evaluations after service has been provided.
- Promptly reports any issues or incidents to TFC that occur during service provision.
Please send your resume to:
Chelsey Gerhardt, Social Enterprise Centre Supervisor
We require contractors to provide interpretation and translation services for many languages and dialects including: Albanian, Baric, Bilen, Burmese, Cambodian, Cebuano, Cree, Creole, Dene, Dinka, Dutch, German, Greek, Hungarian, Korean, Italian, Karen, Kurdish, Malayalam, Nepali, Portuguese, Sinhalese, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, and, Vietnamese, Yoruba. Resumes will also be accepted for other languages and dialects.
NOTE: Please include the position competition reference number when applying.