Blended families are more common than ever as people with children connect with new partners after divorce or separation. These families come in all shapes and sizes; one or both parents may have children, and they may decide to have children together.
Whether it’s complicated schedules, sibling conflicts, parenting styles, or issues with ex-partners, your new life will be complex and sometimes frustrating. Yet it will also be highly rewarding once you get over the ‘bumps.’
The Parenting in Blended Families workshop will help you understand the roles of the natural and step-parents as well as your children’s responses to the breakups of prior relationships. We’ll help you develop strategies for a more positive and healthy home together.
Who can attend?
- Any caregiver who is parenting as part of a blended family
- Blended families interested in establishing positive parenting practices or addressing conflict
What will you learn?
You will build skills for parenting children from different families by understanding:
- How step families develop
- Your children’s response to separation and divorce
- How to create parenting plans and discipline in blended families
- The role of the natural parent
- The role of the step-parent
- How to communicate with co-parents, and
- How to deal with conflict
By the end of the session, you will feel more comfortable:
- Creating effective parenting strategies and giving positive feedback
- Addressing misbehaviour or other issues
- Setting boundaries, limits, and guidelines
- Communicating with your child
- Providing a nurturing home environment
- Minimizing the negative effects of divorce or separation
- Solving day-to-day problems and challenges
When and where is it offered?
Our group classes are offered online and in person. In-person group workshops take place Fridays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at our offices at 9912-106 Street.
Scroll down to see the upcoming dates.
You can also book a three-hour private session.
How much does it cost?
Online group workshop: $100 per person or $150 per couple
In-person group workshops: $150 per person or $200 per couple
Private session: $325 per person or couple
We are dedicated to supporting families of all income levels. If needed, you can apply for a subsidy by selecting “I require subsidy” in the registration form.
Subsidies are available for group workshops only.