When you have clients who can’t adequately speak or understand English, our interpreters can help.
Our Centralized Interpreter Services (CIS) offer interpretation and cultural insight services in more than 70 languages and dialects, so organizations can better communicate with clients who are not yet able to adequately speak or understand English.
How it works
An interpreter can interpret words, ideas, and meanings. They facilitate communication between an organization and a client who speaks limited or no English by providing language and cultural interpretation.
We offer the following interpretation services:
- orientation: complimentary staff orientation sessions to help make your time with us more efficient
- in-person interpretation: an interpreter will interpret a conversation between a client and an organization
- message relay: an interpreter contacts the organization to receive the pre-determined message, phones the client to relay the message, and confirms with the organization that the message was successfully delivered
- phone interpretation: a three-way conference call between the interpreter, the organization, and the client
- on-call services: your organization can partner with us to have interpreters on call for quick access to interpretation services
- cultural brokerage services: the interpreter explains cultural information, identifies and resolves cultural conflicts, or explains Canadian beliefs, values, and practices
Who can access these services?
Any organization that has clients with no or limited English-speaking skills can access interpretation services. We serve all fields, including medical, legal, social services, and driver testing.
Interpretation services are not available to be accessed by individuals.
When and where is it offered?
Interpreters typically conduct the service at a location selected by the organization and client. While phone and online services are available, we prefer to interpret in person to consider non-verbal cues, such as body language, and to more easily provide the client with a sense of reassurance and trust.
We can usually provide an interpreter within 72 hours of a request. For emergencies, we will make every effort to provide an interpreter immediately or work with you to develop an on-call interpreter list for quicker access to interpreters in the future.
If you need interpretation services frequently, we can partner with your organization to have interpreters on call.