Competition number: 1436
Date posted: July 23, 2020
Job Type: Full Time, Temporary position until March 31, 2021
Application deadline: Until Filled
The Family Centre has a strong reputation for providing quality services basing our work on research and evidence-based practices. We pride ourselves on providing leading-edge training and strong, reflective supervision. We intend to create a healthy organization that is intelligent in its response to community issues and intentional about our respectful treatment of each other. We have a strong focus on Trauma-Informed Care for the communities we support, as well as our staff teams. The Family Centre strives to hire a diverse team of employees, reflecting the diverse communities we support.
Mission: The Family Centre exists to support families and children to help them flourish and to help people engage with one another to promote healthy, safe, and economically viable communities.
Vision: Healthy families in healthy communities.
The Family Centre is looking for candidates who are interested in challenging opportunity, frontline social work, providing support to families. The outcome of the Roots and Wings interventions is that families improve their level of functioning as demonstrated through resiliency growth. Caregivers provide a safe, supportive environment for their children, reducing risk factors and enhancing family protective factors, which will improve their child’s learning potential. Caregivers improve the connection to each other, their extended family and peer supports, workplaces, and their communities. Caregivers become positive actors within their school and community, encouraging children in school attendance, academic achievement, and social and community involvement. Children in families see themselves as having the potential for future success; and demonstrate a reduction in high-risk behaviors, and an increase in positive behaviors and development of positive goals. The position reports to the Manager of Community Initiatives at The Family Centre.
- Degree in Social Work or equivalent education and experience
- 2 years’ experience working with families and children
- Ability to work in an integrated partnership with schools and/or OBSD team environment
- Eligibility for membership in a professional organization
- Effective communication skills with a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to work in an integrated service team
- Knowledge of community resources
- Computer Literacy
- Caseload management skills (formal and informal)
- Police Criminal Record Check and Child and Youth Information Systems Check (must have to start employment and renewed every 3 years)
- Enhanced Police Intervention Check approved through Edmonton Police Services
- Standard First Aide-16 Hours and Suicide Intervention Training-14 Hours (must have within 3 months of employment and refreshed every 3 years)
- Aboriginal Awareness (8 hours within the first twelve months of employment and every year thereafter)
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Interpersonal skills to help establish good working relationships with families and stakeholders
- Ability to establish clear boundaries and be sensitive to individual needs
- Ability to problem solve and work in a team environment
- Be a Brand Ambassador
- Excellent organizational skills, flexible and creative problem-solving skills
The main component of the Roots and Wings work is that the service provider is working in families’ homes offering family support; as well, assisting the caregivers with accessing supports for themselves and their children.
Roots and Wings also receive referrals from partnering schools and Children’s Services offices. These families have come to the attention of program partners as being in need of support and referral to Roots and Wings is made.
We work with families to help them create wholesome family environments.
- Provide in-home family support
- Promote awareness around ‘Healthy Brain Development’, Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE), and Resiliency.
- Assist caregivers with overcoming barriers related to poverty (i.e. basic needs, etc.)
- Teach parenting skills
- Improve communication skills between family members in an effort to strengthen the family unit as a whole
- Provide short term emotional support while bridging the connection to long term sustainable supports
- Assist isolated caregivers in developing positive peer relationships and the increasing natural supports
- Address issues that are interfering with positive parenting, such as addictions, domestic disharmony, unhealthy attachments, etc.
Key Performance Indicators
Roots and Wings will:
- Attend training, supervisions and orientation of the agency and program
- Have a active formal caseload of 8-10 clients
- Clearly explain the Roots and Wings service with the support of the Roots and Wings welcome package
- Complete a formal assessment on all families with an open RAW file.
- Use the family goals (SOS mapping) to address concerns outlined in the FAF and client centered case planning
What to Expect
- Training – comprehensive onboarding/orientation process with includes service specific training, and agency-wide core training.
- Feedback – a strong supervision model that provides regular formal and informal opportunities for feedback
- Performance coaching – formal and informal coaching regarding the development of personal and professional growth and development.
The Family Centre is committed to employee wellbeing and development. The comprehensive compensation package offered to employees reflects those values and is competitive within the marketplace.
- $44,096 to $56,827 annually
- Manulife Health Benefit Plan
- 3 weeks’ vacation
- RRSP matching
- Ongoing paid training
Please send your resume to mentioning full time or part time application:
The Family Centre thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Family Centre is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment. We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.