Parenting School Aged Children
When your child turns 5, they start to gain a new level of independence. Between the ages of 5 and 11, they spend more time at school, with friends, and participating in extra-curricular activities. This means they are spending less time with you under your direct supervision and care.
Since you can’t be there to solve all of your child’s problems as they occur, you need skills to teach them to be independent and make positive choices. The Parenting School-Age Children workshop offers a way to help you understand how they’re growing up and the type of role you should have with them as they go through the school years.
Who can attend?
- Any caregiver who is parenting a child between 5 and 11 years old
- Families interested in establishing positive parenting practices or addressing challenges in school-age children
What will you learn?
You will build skills for parenting toddlers and preschoolers by understanding:
- What to expect as your child grows and develops
- Your parenting style and how it affects your child
- Why school-age children behave the way they do
- How to positively guide behaviours
- How to better communicate with your child
- What bonding is and why it’s important
- Ways to teach your child problem-solving skills
- The ins and outs of self-esteem
- Discipline strategies
- Internet safety
- Chores – what to expect and when
- What drives power struggles and how to address them
- How to care for yourself during this stage
By the end of the session, you will feel more comfortable:
- Creating effective parenting strategies and giving positive feedback
- Addressing misbehaviour or other issues
- Setting boundaries, limits, and guidelines
- Communicating with your child
- Providing a nurturing home environment
- Minimizing the negative effects of divorce or separation (if applicable), and
- Solving day-to-day problems and challenges
When and where is it offered?
Our classes are now offered online. Scroll down to see the upcoming dates.
In-person group workshops are Fridays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at our offices at 9912-106 Street
You can also book a three-hour online private session.
How much does it cost?
Online group workshop: $100 per person or $150 per couple
In-person group workshops: $150 per person or $200 per couple
Private session: $325 per person or couple
We are dedicated to supporting families of all income levels. If needed, you can apply for a subsidy by selecting “I require subsidy” in the registration form.
Subsidies are available for group workshops only.